Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Barefoot Running Update

So the barefoot running has been going really well. I ended up rolling my ankle (unrelated to the whole barefoot running training business) and I wasn't able to really run well for a couple weeks, but I have felt better and am getting back in to it in the last couple of weeks. Yesterday I ran 4.5 miles completely barefoot and today I ran 2.5 miles wearing my Huaraches. The furthest I have run yet so far completely barefoot is about 7.5 miles. I felt an incredible sense of accomplishment and look forward to adding on more miles in the near future.

As of right now, my wife and I are training to run the Top of Utah half marathon at the end of August. Although the training is going really well, I don't anticipate doing it completely barefoot. The first 8 miles are in the canyon on the side of the road, it is pretty rocky and sandy and I just don't think I am quite ready to do 13.1 miles completely barefoot yet, I would probably end up with some pretty raw blistered feet. With that being said, I will NOT be wearing regular running shoes, so stop your worrying. I am planning as of right now to run in my Huaraches. So far they are the closest I have been able to find to barefoot, but still offering me the protection I need on those tough surfaces. I can't wait to see how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment