Friday, June 15, 2012

I like to be myself.

I live on top of a big hill, and consequently, whenever I leave my house to go running, it doesn't matter which way I go, there is always a big hill to climb back up to get back to my house. So this morning I was lazy and decided to take the car down to the trail at the bottom of the hills and run there. It was about 60 degrees and sunny as the sun rose and peeked through the trees. If any of you know Connecticut, you know there are a lot of trees. I did a short run today, only a couple of miles, because I wanted to get back and do some other exercising before I had to get in to work.

My feet are starting to adjust really well to running barefoot. I ran those two miles today and am not experiencing any type of rawness or soreness or blisters. They aren't tough and callused like many people would think would happen, instead they are becoming like a tough leather feel. It is really funny to watch people stop and stare at me as I run by them on the trail. They usually glance down at my feet and notice that there are no shoes there, followed by a puzzled look.

I like it, I like being different. I like not conforming to society or doing what others do, simply to "look good". I like to be myself. It is really interesting how often people will call you crazy for being yourself and choosing to act or react in certain ways. Barefoot running, like many other things in my life, is not what most people consider normal. As many of you know I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. This choice of religion/way of life is something that has shaped me and helped me to try and emulate Christ in what I do every day (keyword: TRY). It is something that has allowed me the opportunity to stand out and to be myself and make decisions for myself that aren't necessarily in line with what all of my friends have chosen. That doesn't make me better than anyone else, nor does it make my friends bad for choosing what they chose, but it has made me happier with myself and happier with my own standing and relationship with God. Being different from others is not necessarily a bad thing. I like being different, I like to be myself.

2 comments:

  1. Well said. That is what is special and admirable about you and why we are so blessed to have you as our son-in-law. More people need to have your attitude. Being different and true to yourself and what you believe is what makes you who God created you to be, an individual, not like the masses. That should be something strive for, not something we are scared of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kim!! I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete